Monday, September 28, 2009

So, what are you reading?

So, what are you reading right now? I love to read and always have. So far this year I have read 74 books, but last year I read 96 so I doubt if I make it to that amount. Some of my favorites this year have been Death comes for the Fat man by Reginald Hill, The Private Patient by P D James, several Australian murder mysteries by Kerry Greenwood, some fantasies by Gillian Summers, the Night Villa by Carol Goodman (her books are very good!), Jacqueline Winspear's latest mystery, the Blue Blood vampire series by Melissa de la Cruz (in the Twilight vein), Ariana Franklin's latest, Laurie R. King's latest (and then I reread her entire Mary Russell series again), Qui Zialong's latest, Wake by Lisa McMann, Susan Hill's books, Patricia Briggs' series, several by Juliet Marillier, the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (BRILLIANT), a couple by Michael Connelly, a couple by Donna Leon (I love her books and just salivate when she describes the foods and wines), several rereads by Mary Stewart (just finished This Rough Magic last week - it is set in Corfu, and one of the TAAFOMFT team members just went to Corfu so I just had to reread this book), and today I finished A Trace of Smoke by Rebecca Cantrell. As you can see, I enjoy well-written mysteries and fantasies. I do occasionally read non-fiction but it's funny - I used to read lots of how to, self improvement, and biographies but now I would rather be entertained. I reread my Jane Austen's almost every year but I don't read much other "serious" literature. I have to admit I read so much of it when I was getting my degree (English literature with an emphasis on Victorian lit) that I rarely dip into it now except for Bleake House by Dickens which is one of my all time favorites.
So, as I asked, what are you reading? Got any suggestions?
I made the corner book marker (above photo) this afternoon for a Candy Shoppe Design blog challenge - super easy!
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention Scat by Carl Hiassen (it's a young adult book but just as funny as all of his adult books). He moved to Vero Beach (the town in which I live) several years ago from Miami. Stuart Woods also lives here, and his Orchid Beach series is written about this area.
Have a great day tomorrow and tune in Wednesday for the next These are a few of my favorite things challenge!!!!!!

6 comments:

sarah said...

LOVE that bookmark you made!!! how cute and creative that is! :)

hope you have a wonderful rest of the week.

hugs to you,
sarah.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

*sigh* I wish I had the time to read right now....LOL!!!!!! Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh and I keep forgetting to tell U.....Go to my blog list on the right side of my blog and U'll see a "Staci Jo".....I think U will like her blog....she is an AVID READER and does a lot of GREAT reviews on her blog...let me know what U think....and ummmmmmmm duh....I know why U aren't reading as much...that darn BOSS of yours keeps U tooooooooooooo busy!!! LOL! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Jamie Dougherty (jaylynn) said...

Love your bookmark, I may just have to lift that :) Thanks for the reading suggestions. I've been reading the Sookie Stackhouse Novels. By Charlaine Harris Vampy stories lol Hugs Jamie

Elizabeth said...

I am Rebecca Cantrell's literary agent, and I'm so thrilled you read A TRACE OF SMOKE! I hope you enjoyed it. Becky is working hard on the third and fourth books in the series. The 2nd book NIGHT OF THE LONG KNIVES will pub next spring, and it's even better than the first.

I think we share similar taste in books. Bleak House is amazing. Other favorite classics are Howard's End and The Turn of the Screw. But I agree that these days I most want to be entertained. I'm currently reading Catching Fire - Book 2 after The Hunger Games, which was a favorite of mine from the past year.

Have you read the Thirteenth Tale? It's somewhat literary, but an amazing gothic ghost story.

Best, Elizabeth Evans

kate blue said...

love the bookmark! Great edges and will have to do a few like that too...beats what I WAS using for bookmarks (grocery store receipts) {smile}-finished about 3 books over the last 3 weeks-what happens when you get sick and lay in bed :)

KateB
ps-Private Patient was a great book too-I read it a few months ago...

elina said...

Chris I love how you scalloped your edges!!