Monday, September 7, 2009

My dream

In response to the prompt on Creative Therapy about what I want to accomplish in my life, I created this painting/layout to hang above my desk. This is a splash and pour watercolor painting in that you wet the paper, drop in paint, and then take a short straw and blow the paint around. After the paint dries, you look for places that look like things (leaves, flowers, fairies, fish, frogs, whatever) and enhance them with negative painting (painting darker around something to make it pop forward). Actually in this painting I was trying the technique of masking out areas and I began to paint birds in those areas; however, I hated the birds so I covered them with cutout watercolor leaves and with the money receipt. My journaling reads - My dream is to become a self-supporting artist - to sell my paintings and hopefully to win some watercolor competitions.
I am an extremely goal-oriented person and writing down goals always helps me to keep them in mind as the bigger picture. Life itself and other smaller intermediate steps and goals often interfere but if I can keep the bigger goal in front of me, I can achieve it. I have been extremely fortunate to have accomplished a lot in my life - I have been truly blessed and I feel grateful every day. I have a healthy and happy son who is a superb teacher, I have a loving husband, I have an affectionate little fur ball to keep me company, and I am healthy and productive.
Now - to the opposite extreme - trollbead LUST - okay, I know this is totally frivolous but this was also a goal - to create a trollbead bracelet. LOL!!!!! It took me about a year of haunting ebay to find the beads I wanted at reasonable prices - and this is my piece de resistance - a green-lilac armadillo!!!!!! I will have to do a layout showing the entire bracelet. This layout is for the Candy Shoppe striptease challenge - I followed the sketch, I used cream, turquoise, purple, and fuchsia, I used strips of paper, I used something gold (the little flower just above the swirl on the right). For the background I took an old toothbrush, wetted it, and dapped it in watercolor paint, and then flicked it with my finger - it spattered on the paper. I made the velvet flower after seeing pix of the new Prima velvet flowers - so beautiful! and the feathers are printed kitschy digitals which I got free from the Year of Color blog (hey, if you subscribe to it, I will be having another tutorial this month - this time on a fabric flower wallhanging - not sure exactly when Kari is going to run it).
Well, I have talked enough today. Thanks for looking and hope your day is going well.
ttfn

19 comments:

Jamie Dougherty (jaylynn) said...

I absolutely love your painting. You will make your dream come true. I have the same dream :) There is hope for us all. I love the color and design of the second one WOW!!!!!

Darien said...

WOW! The both stunning! Love the beautiful techniche and I love the color combination of both!!! Really awesome job!! And I bet you gonna win any competition!!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee these!!!! They are gorgeous Chris!!!! And I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeee your artist dream...to me U are an artist...and I for one would be proud to own a "Chris' original!!!! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Lisa said...

You are well on your way to achieving your dream...you have all the talent necessary! These are gorgeous!

BTW, thanks for asking about my neck/back issues. I'm improving every day. Physical therapy is helping. {{{hugs}}}

Sasha Holloway said...

completely DIG IT .. love it .. wow ..

Deana said...

Those projects are just GORGEOUS, Chris! You'll achieve your goals. Just keep writing them down & believing in yourself & they'll come true! :-)

Hope your toe feels better soon! :-(

Sandy said...

LOVE the splattered paint technique!! This is absolutely beautiful! Thanks for playing along! :)

sarah said...

you are so talented, chris! but i think i tell you that every time i read your blog. :) your work is so stunning! share some of that mojo will ya?! hehe.

have a fantastic day!

hugs,
sarah.

Diane B. said...

gorgeous pages!

Marit said...

Wooooowwww, Chris! That watercolour painting is stunning! You know your way with paint lady! Absolutely fantastic!!!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic! Love both works of art!

Kelly said...

This is so so beautiful! I love all that paint

Jennifer Priest said...

OMG--LOVE the feathers!! WOW!! Sooooo gorgeous!!

Jenny B in Indy said...

This is AWESOME!!

Lita said...

wow, love all those elements! You are one fab designer girl!

elina said...

This is stunning!! I love your color splashes!!

Jennifer Matott (Sigmagirl) said...

Gorgeous!!!! LOVE your style!!

Jennifer said...

Amazing creations!!

Michelle McGee said...

LOVE those leaves!