Thursday, September 30, 2010

TAAFOMFT and a September Recap

It's that time of the month - a new challenge is up at http://whatisyourfavething.blogspot.com/ and it is What or who is your favorite fictional character? I had a hard time with this as I read so much and have so many favorite books (notice I went to books - some of the other DT members went to to television and movies for their favs - that's one of the things I really enjoy about the TAAFOMFT group - they are all so creative and come up with such diverse answers to the questions) but I had just finished Mockingjay (and had reread the first 2 books in the Hunger Games series) so the main character Katniss was really on my mind. She is so strong, clever, and true to herself and her loved ones, and ultimately she understands what her real task is and has the courage to accomplish it. If you haven't read these books, be sure to - they are classified as Young Adult but they are not children's books - the writing is good and the story is a very unique take on the classic good vs evil, government vs people.  I think you will really like these books!

When September began, I was full of enthusiasm and plans; today is the last day of the month and I will recap a bit for you. I joined a Triangle Knit along on Ravelry: the above photos are of the triangle free-range shawl that I knitted (4 different yarns mixed along with a stockinet border, garter stitch for the center, and random rows of lace. I also made a triangle pin from scrap fabrics and trims.
I joined the Fat Quarterly blog quilt along and sewed this quilt top - I still have to quilt it but don't have time this week to do that. I will probably get it layered and basted this week and then hand quilt it over the next few weeks.  For both of these projects, I used supplies that I had in my stash - can you believe that I never set foot in Michael's the entire month?!
I started a new watercolor portrait painting class on Tuesday; I love the teacher's method and hope to have something to show very soon.
Our budget was a disaster this month - repairs to both cards, Dan had a filling fall out (can you believe $225 for 15 minutes to grind off the rough edges and put in the new filling - no anesthesia?), and several other bills that were higher than expected. Thankfully we have enough but it's still aggravating. I did find a great French wine that was quite inexpensive and I purchased several cases for the winter. I won the bag of laces from Prima (yay!) and I was able to get quite a few art books and brand new books from the library - and I am sure I am forgetting some of the other things - good and bad - that happened this past month but THAT'S LIFE!
On to October, probably my favorite month of the year. I will be extra busy with 2 painting classes a week and working at the book store and gift shop. Sewing clothes will be one of my main activities this month, and I am in charge of the contest on Scrapgal this month so that will take some time - it will be fun - wait until you see what I have made as examples!
Thanks for reading this long post and have a super day!
ttfn
Chris

3 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

I think you and I are gonna have reverse roles now... my craziness starts tomorrow! LOL! I love love love love that lo!!!! And that SHAWL!!! OMYGOSH!!! GORGEOUS!! And your quilt... amazing as always my friend...you always amaze me!!! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Anonymous said...

I would definitely choose a book-character for the challenge! Aaarghhhh. Time is always a problem! (and budget, yes - we too strugle with that more then is healthy...) Your quilt looks amazing! I never tried it myself. Have a good time with your classes Chris! Can't wait to see the watercolor results - your painting always amazes me!

Deana said...

You are BUSY with LOTS of crafty projects! That shawl is beautiful... you need to take a photo of you wearing it! :-)