Sunday, October 4, 2009

Water before color and some happy news

Happy Sunday! The above is a painting I finished yesterday of bouganvilleas - the first time I ever saw them was when I was going to college in Mesa, Arizona a long time ago. We have lots of them in Florida and they grow wild in the Bahamas. I have always loved how they look like little paper flags dancing in the breeze.
Here you see the start of my big painting for my class. I have drawn basics of the scene onto the sheet of w/c paper (very difficult to see in this photo). This morning I wetted the paper and then stretched it onto the board and stapled around the edges so it didn't buckle when it dried. This sounds simple but since this was the first time I have ever dealt with a full sheet of w/c paper, there was quite a bit of cursing along with a few tears, and then finally I got out one of my w/c books and used that artist's method and it all came together. Now I am ready for class on Wednesday. Oh, and did I mention, the staple gun ran out of staples and I couldn't seem to get it to open to replace more staples and ...... and ...... Finally the staple gun magically opened and voila!!!!!
And now, for some really good news: lately I have been submitting lots of layouts for publication, and on Friday I was notified that Scrapbook News & Review will publish the layout that I did with the photo of our house after the hurricanes for the Forward Progress challenge blog. I did add a little journaling to make it fit the category. And yesterday I was notified that Scrap n'Art will publish the Joy layout on which I stamped the background with 2 Harlee-Quinnz stamps. So guys, all I can say is if you want to get published, you gotta submit layouts!
Time to say ttfn and go watch some football.
Have a great week!!!!!!
p.s. Be sure to comment on the previous post by midnight Monday night (any time zone) to get your name in the drawing for the RAK for my bloginversary on Tuesday.

8 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

GORGEOUS PAINTING CHRIS!!! And wooooooooooooooooooooo hoooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! CONGRATS on the PUB times TWO! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) (Next time submit a FAVE THINGS one though...LOL LOL LOL....) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

jacque4u2c said...

You my friend are such an inspiration!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow..Chris...you are so talented...love that painting!And HUGE congrats on being pubbed...awesome Chris!

Jenneke said...

WOW Chris, congrats on your publications!!!! Two times, yeahhhh!!!
You are so, so talented!

XXXJenneke

Amy said...

Oh holy moly... Love that painting of the "pink flowers"....I am so excited for you. Being published is awesome...Hard work pays off. Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Deana said...

CONGRATS on the pubs, Chris! That is so cool & well deserved! :-)

Marit said...

Congrats on all the pubbes Chris! Yes, I should submit my layouts more often too (but there's only one scrapbook magazine in Holland - maybe I should look abroad?)
Good job, stapling the paper. I know from experience how difficult this is to do!!!

Carolyn said...

Beautiful painting!!!
I'll bet there were a few words stretching that paper