Friday, October 16, 2009

I am the daughter of a HERO

I did this little canvas as a tribute to my incredible mother who passed 9 years ago. I still miss her and find myself thinking during the day - I need to remember to tell Mother ..... then I realize that she already knows. If anyone goes to Heaven, she did.
I used the cover of an old book for this canvas, gessoed it, painted it, glimmer misted it, and used some Barbie packaging for the dress form, papermached over it, and added the dress made from an old sewing pattern. The belt is leftover yarn and I added pieces of shells and coral for the necklace, belt buckle, and ends of the belt.
Hope you have a great weekend. They are forecasting a cold front to come through tonight so that tomorrow will be much cooler (we have broken records for heat the last 2 days) and it will get into the 50s tomorrow night (I will believe it when I feel it). But I am ever hopeful!!!!!

12 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

ohhhhh for the love ...chris....this is amazing!!! wow wow wow wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.......i loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee how u made that dress using the pattern!!! just wow gorgeous!! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Ruth Philps said...

I love how you have captured form and movement on this!! Your mother would be proud!!

McMGrad89 said...

Wonderful, Chris. I, too, find myself telling myself, "Oh, I will just ask dad about that." I can't imagine what it will be like when my mother is no longer around also.

Love the dress and the canvas. TFS

BTW - We finally saw the 50s here today and it has been lovely.

Darien said...

OMG!!!! This is GORGEOUS!!!! Stunning!!! WOW! I'm Speechless

Deana said...

Good grief that is so GORGEOUS. That is the most creative piece of art I've seen in a LONG time! And the words on there gave me tears.

I can't even say how much I adore that canvas. I'd try to make something similar, but I know I couldn't come close to the beauty in that.

Wow.

Have fun at Carrabba's tonight... sounds yummy! And have fun with Chris Botti tomorrow night! :-)

jacque4u2c said...

I am just at a loss of words! This is just AMAZING!!!!

Jenna Ruth said...

What a gorgeous tribute! One of the most beautiful pieces of art I've seen in a long time.

Jenneke said...

SO BEAUTIFUL!!!!!
Chris, this is amazing!! LOVE LOVE LOVE this canvas!! WOW!!!
I know how you feel about your mother, my parents died 7 years ago and sometimes I still expect them to walk into the room.. I don't think this will ever change..

Big hug, Jenneke

Anonymous said...

Oh wow...Chris, this is so very beautiful!What a wonderful tribute to your mother!

Marit said...

OH MY, Chris... this is beautiful! Love the colours and the dress with the little shells on the belt! Hope your weekend goes well with the weather and all!

Jamie Dougherty (jaylynn) said...

That is unbelievably STUNNING!!!!! WOW I love this... Words can not describe!!! Hugs Jamie

Michelle McGee said...

That is STUNNING!