Saturday, September 10, 2011

Revisitng the Classics

One of my favorite "first liners"
is the opening sentence of George Eliot's Middlemarch
handmade flowers of vintage laces, silk dupioni, and hand-dyed muslin
with centers of vintage buttons and a vintage cuff link
I created the figure by cutting out sequential cardboard figures,
layering them, and then pasting over with papermache
finally covering with vintage pattern paper, and painting with acrylic paint
The bustle was constructed from hand-sewn silk dupioni and vintage lace
the picture was copied in reverse from Dover's Women, a pictorial archive of 19th century images
(all copyright free)
and then image transferred to the gessoed and painted canvas.
I added the typography (computer) and the Prima rub ons.
I actually made this piece back in the winter and submitted it to Somerset Studio 
for their Classics issue - but they did not use it so I am posting it now.
Hope you like it!
Chris

1 comment:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

This is AMAZING Chris... I loveeeeeeeeeeeee the woman's image and those flowers! :):):):):):):):):):):)