Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The good, the bad, and the uncomfortable

"the most potent muse of all is our own inner child" 
-Stephen Nachmanovitch

Well, I was a bad girl - but it is really all good!!!! I stopped by Tuesday Morning on Saturday (that sounds funny, doesn't it) to purchase a pair of kitchen shears as Dan had broken mine while out in the garden cutting rosemary when he was fixing chicken on the grill (he layers rosemary twigs on the grill and oh my is the smell enticing!). I happened upon a treasure trove of goodies and just had to indulge my inner child - 2 fantastic Louisa Harding knitting books, a book on painting houses & gardens in watercolor, some Prima pebbles, and some Prima ribbons and laces - be still my heart - laces oh my! and then I stopped by St Vincent de Paul and found the iris petals and florist wire for 10 cents.

And then I got a call from the used book store where I work - someone had donated a box of old patterns and since we don't sell stuff like that, they thought of me - TREASURE!!! The patterns are from the 50s, 60s, and 70s AND just look a Mary Quant pattern and it is uncut - and the envelope is immaculate.
I am blessed - like a child at Christmas!
This morning I had both skin cancers removed - the doctor decided to cut out the one between my breasts because it had metastasized and had grown a root so now I have 8 stitches - the feeling hasn't returned just yet but I know it will.......
The one on my hand would not even heal from the biopsy but as the cancer was not growing, he froze it - it really burns right now but will be fine in a few days.
I am telling you about my experience so all of you will be watchful of your skin and also get regular skin check ups - I am a prime candidate for skin cancer as I am very fair and had auburn hair when I was younger but anyone can get it - and most of the damage was done when we were children and teenagers playing in and laying out in the sun.
Have a great day - see you tomorrow with a new painting!
Chris

8 comments:

Cassie said...

I am so glad that they removed everything. My husband's grandmother had a double mastectomy. I am always watching my skin too...so important!! I am also glad that you found some fabulous goodies! Those patterns look like a box of fun!! =)

Jenna Ruth said...

Hope you are doing well! I just had a biopsy done for a few places on my back.... luckily not melanoma, but I am so going to be more careful out in the sun from now on! I love the sun, but we've all only got one body, so we've got to be careful! Love all your treasures too :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your goodies Chris! MYOHMY - you lucky girl! I hope your skin heals quickly.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

I loveeeeeeeeee the goodies you got today!! And soooooooooo happy to hear that everything went well at the surgeons... I wish you would have told me it was today.. you know the boss worries..... lol ... love ya... and hope everything heals fast! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Deana said...

Hope you're doing ok, Chris. Will be keeping you in my prayers...:-)

Cynthia said...

Chris, Thank you for sharing your story ! This is a reminder we all need. I too am pretty fair and already have had pre-cancer as a teenager. In my hairline even. Tomorrow, I have a physical and this reminder comes at a perfect time! Thank you. I do hope the discomfort subsides.

PS The patterns alone!!! What a gift:) It's all always the little treasures in life!!!

EverydayMe said...

HOpe you're doing better by now... I'll continue to pray for you... love all those patterns... too fun... a treasures!!! {{hugs}} Michelle

Tamdsgns said...

Chris,
Hope your feeling 100% soon. I'm sure your happy to have it done and over. So excited for your found treasures. I can't wait to see what you create.")