Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's day and a new painting


I had a lovely Mother's day weekend: my son drove over Sat and spent the night - he took us to Carrabba's for dinner on Sat. He also gave me Keith Urban's new cd and a giftcard to B&N. My DH got these beautiful roses for me - they were buds and then opened to stunning full roses.
This is my latest painting - I am very happy with the background but the flowers didn't come out quite the way I had hoped. I will try some other ideas in my next painting. I am thinking of painting roses in my next painting. I have taken quite a few photos of the roses my DH gave me and also did some sketches. This way I will have a variety of rose shapes and maturities along with the incredible color variations. Today in class we will be working with a variety of surfaces on which to paint - this will be a real education for me as I have only painted on watercolor papers.
Have a great week. I hope to do some sewing this week and the plan is make a blouse first - I have some gorgeous Liberty cotton that I purchased last fall in Asheville and it will make a fabulous summer blouse.



4 comments:

Marit said...

I do love your painting! Don't see anything wrong in the flowers, but I know the feeling - you're like me, very critical about your own work, and that's good! The roses you got for Mothers Day are great! I love roses!

Deana said...

Beautiful flowers... the real ones & the painting!

Glad to hear you had a nice Mother's Day... you deserve it! :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad oyu had a fabulous Mom's Day.. your painting is gorgeous.. you are do going to be famous!

McMGrad89 said...

I was reading your blog off of my reader (I have a lot of catching up to do) and was scrolling past the photos. At first glance, the daffodils looked as realistic as the roses. Granted, it is 5 a.m. and I am not supposed to read computer screens (per my optometrist) but I think your painting is just lovely. Can't wait to see the roses. (Since I am so far behind, you have probably already posted them.)
:-)