Tuesday, December 7, 2010

All through the house......

Today is a cold but sunny day in southeast Florida and I am so glad that I can stay at home and be warm (well, sort of) and play. I started out this morning with coffee, blurfing, yoga, and oatmeal. I was going to paint but somehow after I read http://spiritcloth.typepad.com/spirit_cloth/, my fabrics insisted that I pull them out and start playing. I sometimes wish that I could be more free and random in my art but I know that usually I feel better if there is some structure and organization. I was super inspired by Jude Hill's seasonal piece so I began to design one of my own. The above photo is of the fabrics laid out - the piece began to change a bit while I was sewing it together, and I hope to finish it tomorrow or Thursday. I think it will look pretty cool hanging behind my village. I am also thinking about doing a reindeer piece - I did a little sketch and I think it might work.
Other things that I have done today - since it is feeling like winter
played with a layout for Category Stories
brewed tea in my crazy cat teapot
baked scones - after all, what's better than tea and scones?!
made beef vegetable soup for dinner tonight - it is simmering right now, and the whole house smells yummy!

Hope you are having a great day - I am finishing yet another cup of tea and getting ready to sew some more on my Winter Forest piece - I was digging through my embellishment box and found some vintage French gelatin sequins (bought many years ago when I lived in Denver) - I think they or else some tiny vintage mother of pearl buttons would look really cool as stars in the fabric sky - who knows where this is going? It reminds me of the incredible quilts in the book Moonwise by Greer Ilene Gilman - I will have to re-read that - it would be perfect winter reading BUT right now I am re-reading The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman - love that trilogy - and also on my coffee table for reading before Christmas is my old copy of A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens (we watched Scrooged last week one night and I remembered how much I loved it - definitely one of my favorite Christmas movies!)

Hopefully I will be back tomorrow with progress on my Winter Forest
ttfn
Chris

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like you had a nice day. That soup is making me hungry. :-)

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh I am loving those fabrics pieces and love love love love love the beginning of your lo!! Can't wait to see it all...and that YUMMY food!!!! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Anonymous said...

Great winter forest piece Chris! I picture you at the sewing machine, nipping your tea, eating a scone and smell the gorgeous soup... I just wish I could peep into your room right now, if only for a moment. But in fact, you let me do that by describing it all! Thanks! Enjoy your day!!

Hanneke said...

Your winterforest is amazing I love it and it definatly would look great behind your village!! Love your day, so nice and relaxed! I've been running around like crazy today only 1 week and the kids will be free from school, pffft!!!!